For probably the first year and a half or two of using essential oils I did not actually own a diffuser…
This is not to say that I did not diffuse my oils though, I certainly did as I feel it is one of the safest and most effective, though underutilized aromatherapy methods out there. Instead, I found a few creative ways to “diffuse” my essential oils through what is considered passive, or ambient, diffusion.
19 Ways to Diffuse Without a Diffuser
- Add a couple drops to a bowl of steamy water.
- Place a drop or two on a cotton ball and tuck anywhere fragrance is desired.
- Make a simple drawer sachet using rice, essential oils, and fabric scraps.
- Place a drop or two on a tissue and tuck into your pillow case at night.
- Place on a piece of felt and hang in closets or your car.
- Wear your favorite aromas in diffuser jewelry such as necklaces, bracelets, earrings and rings.
- Place just a drop on your shirt collar or cuff [watch for staining though].
- Massage a drop with a little bit of carrier oil into your hair [bonus as a hair treatment].
- Refresh an old tart burner by adding a couple drops to the melted wax in its basin.
- Add a few drops to a bowl of potpourri or dried flower decor.
- Add a few drops to a pot of simmering water on the stove [be cautious not to boil dry].
- Make an aromatic room spray.
- Place a drop or two inside of new toilet paper rolls for a burst of fragrance each time their used.
- Drop oils onto clothes pins and clip to the air vents in your car or home.
- Place a few drops onto decorative clay spheres and display [often referred to as aroma stones].
- Use essential oils to make a reed diffuser using a glass vase, any carrier oil, and skewers or twigs [like this one here].
- Make DIY gel air fresheners [like this one].
- Make DIY aromatherapy candles [like these].
- Make your own incense to burn [like this one].