This has to be my absolute best DIY yet!!!
Well in an effort to combat my horribly dry winter skin without having greasy hands 24/7 I tried them out.
And guess what…they were not only incredibly easy but THEY WORKED!
I am feeling like I struck gold with these lotion bars and I must have because my first batch disappeared like cookies on Christmas Eve.
A lotion bar is pretty much three equal parts: carrier oil, butter, and beeswax. Then you can fancy them up with flower petals, essential oils and such to your liking.
- I received some great suggestions in a few of my Facebook groups to try Hemp Seed oil as it would absorb quickly and still do its moisturizing job effectively. I infused the carrier oil with lavender and calendula petals, but you wouldn’t necessarily need to.
- I chose shea as my butter simply because it was what I had on hand. I would like to try mango butter next time, I have been hearing a lot of buzz about it in the community!
- I then wanted to add some extra skin nourishing essential oils [see below]. For these, I chose a kidsafe blend from Plant Therapy called Skin Soother which not only works great on my rough skin and my son’s eczema, but it smells amazing too!
Skin Soothing Lotion Bars
¼ cup hemp seed oil
2 tablespoons each: dried lavender and calendula
¼ cup shea butter
¼ cup beeswax pellets
½ teaspoon vitamin E
24 drops essential oils of choice
- Infuse hemp seed oil with calendula and lavender for at least 2 hours on very low heat.
- In a double boiler, gently melt the infused oil, shea butter, and beeswax until combined.
- Remove from heat and add vitamin E and essential oils.
- Pour into molds and cool.